<VV> Stingers Numbers

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Wed May 19 13:00:53 EDT 2010

Mike and Rich and Others:  First, go review the March 2006 Communique, page
8 & 9, for most of your answers to your questions.  Not much new information
has actually been discovered since then.  And what has been discovered
doesn't substantially change history.

But, in summary
	100 1966 white over black Corvairs fleet ordered in late 1965.  We know not
all of them were converted to Stinger cosmetic specifications.  Some were
sold as white Corvairs.
	About 5 to 7 cars, two or three being Canadian built cars, converted at
Yenko in late spring/early summer of 1966.  If I remember correctly, one was
a convertible driven to Yenko for "conversion".  There is evidence one of
the original 100 cars, based on the VIN number, was completed and given a YS
number greater than 100.  Just to confuse things...!
	25 1967 Corvairs red or blue over black fleet ordered in early 67.
Probably less than half were cosmetically converted to Stinger
specifications.  Remainder sold as red or blue Corvairs.
	There are no cars with YS tags between YS200 and YS299.  None.
	Then we can toss in the conversion (with YS tag) of the A-Sedan car of
DeLarenzo's car (still around) and of Thompson's car (disappeared), the misc
tag/kit cars for racers during the late 60's, the Goodyear car, and some
other thingies.  Maybe two dozen cars?
	Following them in the history are the eighteen or so YS300 series tag/kit
cars sold after Corvair production stopped.  Some of these YS tags have yet
to be attached to a chassis.
	The Dana Stingers, few in number, are yet unresolved.  The people, both at
Yenko and Dana, who participated (or perpetrated) them are long time gone
from this life as we know it.  Best guess is folks at Dana got the correct
COPO numbers, ordered a couple cars, and someone at Yenko supplied the
fiberglass cosmetic parts.

If your question is "what is a real Stinger", your answer will vary with
your understanding of and appreciation for what was going on back then in
the minds and hearts of those mostly departed employees of Yenko Chevrolet.
If you have a restricted definition that only cars delived on a car hauler
from Chevrolet, converted and sold by employees of Yenko Chevrolet are real
Stingers, the number of "real Stingers" is probably less than 100 total.  If
you acknowledge and appreciate the motivation and situation Yenko was in,
and what the racer in him was trying to do, then your number of "real
Stingers" is different.

Mike's statement of "I know... clear as mud" is a good insight.  Some, I
fear for $$ reasons, want to make Stinger history straight and linier,
perfectly clear and well documented.  But history is seldom that way,
especially when those in their real time and space back then didn't really
care about and/or understand the history they were making.  They were
selling the next car, or getting to the next race, not thinking of what
somebody might like to have documented near 50 years later.

Me, as the first real collector and keeper of the Yenko Stinger Registry
back when I was Chairman of the Competition Committee back in the early
80's, am content with murky history on this and a lot of other subjects.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice
                   CORSA member since mid-70's
                   Former Chairman of the Competition Committee
                   Member of orginal CPF Advisorary Committee
                   CORSA/CPF Bod member and CPF Laision 1999-01
                   Occassional contributor to the Communique

Message: 9