<VV> American cars

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sun May 30 12:52:40 EDT 2010

I don't know about NOW, but in 1979 I purchased a new stripped down 1980
Toyota corolla (no radio, no A/C, no glovebox door) for 4600.00  With the
sales taxes and prep fees it was 5100. With the interest on the 4 year loan
it was 6100.

Now it did throw 3 slave cylinders, and one positive battery cable, and the
salt air parking it next to the ocean for 3 years in Puerto Rico made me
have to change the radiator with a used one after 5 years of ownership,BUT.
I owned the car until 1992 when I sold it for 500.00 to a friend because it
needed its 3rd clutch and pressure plate.  Then again, the car had TWO
HUNDRED AND FORTY EIGHT THOUSAND MILES ON IT!!!!

I never replaced the alternator, never changed the points module, never
adjusted the carb. I used to set the timing by ear.  Changed cap rotor plugs
wires battery, Brakes, tires, and the rear axle bearings that mount in the
tube.   That's it folks.

THIRTEEN YEARS---never stranded me on the highway. I even pulled a 66 Monza
loaded with engine and tranny parts from Hammond, LA to Gulf Shores, AL
before I realized I'd never get to Buffalo doing it. Left it at my inlaws
and came back to get the Monza with brother's 4WD.

End of the day, I was choosing between it and a 1980 Chevy Citation.   Guess
I made the right freakin' choice THAT time.

Hank