<VV> Follow-up and thanks to Group Corvair

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Mon May 31 12:00:02 EDT 2010

My Greenbrier has been running for over a week now.  I had posted that  the
engine would fire with a little gas or starting fluid down the throats, but
 not keep running.  I checked the filters, carbs for fuel delivery etc. and
 became convinced it was bad gas (it smelled and I had not run the GB much
since  last fall).  Because Group Corvair had agreed to help me transfer a
power  train (stored in the GB) into my 200K '68 Monza I needed to get the GB
running  to get the power train 25 miles to Jim Govoni's immaculate garage
(many thanks  Jim).  After taking half of Friday (I took half a day off)
trying to get  the GM to run the right carb's dribble and the left carb's
stream of fuel had  both stopped so I was committed to rebuilding them before I
tried anything  else.  I had to get the power train to Jim's garage the next
morning for  the club tech session.

I pulled both carbs and rebuilt them; finishing up just  after 1:30 AM
Saturday.  I got up at 5:45 and had the carbs installed  by 6:30.  (I misplaced
one throttle rod, but was saved by my wife who found  it at the curb).  I
installed the freshly charged battery, gave each carb a  shot of gas and
cranked it in partial desperation.  And it fired right up  and kept running, bad
gas or not.  The valves took forever to quiet as the  lifters has lost their
charge of oil with all the attempts to start over the  past weeks, but
eventually the engine ran quietly and one of the world's ugliest  Greenbriers
ran like a clock all the way to the work site.  I'm not sure  what the bets
were that I would make it, but everyone seemed happy to see the GB  pull into
Jim's spotless garage before noon.

The switch took just one day because of everyone's hard work and the
decades of experience on hand.  Jim Simpson and I went to his home after a  stop
at the local FLAPS to install new U joints on the half shafts as two of the
ones on the car had started to gall.  Big hassle when some of the new U
joints galled the yokes and jammed, but Jim's expertise with a Dremel tool
cleaned up the yokes and the job got done while the rest of the club switched
the engine.  It should be noted that the complete old power train was
carried by the four club members to the GB after the ATV lift started to dig
into the asphalt driveway.  Not bad for four guys who are all north of 40
(three considerably north).

Many thanks to Jim, Jim, Phil, Jack, Lee, Jeff, Marolyn, Carol for  making
it all possible.  I am now working on the "new" engine to get it  running
dependably and the Greenbrier has fresh gas again.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Corvanatics
CORSA