<VV> Fw: Crappy Clevite lifters

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Nov 8 07:58:43 EST 2010

Yes, Smitty, low oil supply to the rocker arms can definitely happen in a Corvair but it is not common because even a small amount of somewhat 'aggressive' cornering makes up for the low flow rate.  Usually it first shows up as a 'field mice' kind of squeak.   When it does happen the most common [and easiest] fix is to make a couple of hard 360 degree turns, one left and one right, which sends more than enough oil up the push rod tubes to stop the noise for months, perhaps forever.
Ken P

***********************************
 "Smitty" <vairologist at cox.net> wrote:  [in part]

<<snip>>

Final note here.  I am not normally much of an "in your face" kind of guy so
when I approched the vendor about the problem it was with an attitude of
sharing what I had learned.  Hoping to prevent some one else from
experienceing the problem.  his immediate answer was, None of my other
customers are complaining.   Is that true guys?  Are you not having problems
or are you just not complaining?  Were my lifters part of a defective run,
or they all like that?  Damn sure won't get any help from the vendor.  He
made it plain he doesn't have a problem.