<VV> Mis-matched case halves

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Nov 21 23:57:59 EST 2010

America has been (and still is) manufacturing things, many made up of other
 parts. The case halves are, of course each an individual casting, one for
the  left and one for the right. (Actually a second one for right-side FC
and  replacement motors)  I don't know the actual work-flow process for the
cases, but it seems to me that each half would likely have some machining
done  on it, then the two halves would have been paired, then final machined.
It  makes sense to me that, during the changeover to the 164 crank-clearanced
cases,  one case half would have run out of stock before the other. If
their  manufacturing engineers determined that the early crank would work in the
 later machined case half, why throw anything away? They couldn't have used
an  "early" machined case half with a longer stroke crank, but in the 1963
model year, no problem!

-Seth

In a message dated 11/21/2010 3:27:21 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,