<VV> USAAF in Britain during WW2

Brent Fullard brent.fullard at rogers.com
Tue Nov 23 12:21:25 EST 2010

David:

Please do not forget the role that Canadians served in the Second World War.
Canadians in large numbers were there by Britain's side from the very outset
in 1939 through to the end in 1945.  Among them was my father and uncle who
both enlisted to serve in 1939 and saw the war through to its successful
end.

My uncle Howard served in the Canadian Air Force and was shot down during a
bombing raid over Germany and became a German prisoner of war. His leg was
amputated because of injuries sustained while exiting his plane. Fortunately
for him, his brother (my father) was also stationed overseas and against all
odds arranged through the Head of the British Red Cross for one of the first
prisoner of war exchanges. My father went on to serve in the invasion of
Italy and for his service he was awarded the MBE award (Member of the
British Empire).

Many other nations came to Britain's aid to overthrow Hitler, not just
Canada and the US. Australia and New Zealand were among them.

Brent