<VV> Transaxle tech/ opinions

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Oct 1 16:36:46 EDT 2010

I think you misunderstand what a 'transaxle' is - it's the combined transmission and differential (axle).  I think the question you are really asking has two parts:

 - Is the '65 axle as strong as the '66 and later?

Yes, the internal parts are the same.

 - Will a '65 transmission mate to a '66 diff?

There are a couple of detail differences.  I seem to recall you can mate the two different year parts, but there is at least some minor change to be made first, it doesn't just bolt up.

The short answer is if you only need a new differential, you should get one from a '65 if you want it to just "bolt in".

--Bryan