<VV> Transaxle tech - hole in Saginaw gasket not on earlier trans ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Fri Oct 1 17:12:43 EDT 2010

Be careful when swapping a 1965 4-speed for a 1966-1969 Saginaw !

My first "vehicular homicide" came when a mechanic Corvair installed a
Saginaw in my 1965 Corsa.

He noticed the obvious need for a different mount, but was not quite as
aware of the difference in gaskets ?

Not long afterward, the transaxle melted down (literally !) and seized up at
70 MPH, leaving bout 400 feet of skid marks in the fast last of the Long
Island Expressway !

The pinion gear actually melted, with the teeth smooshed into the space
between them, and the tapered bearings looked like chewing gum !

The transaxle (diff) case was split in half, but the engine and tranny were
OK.

The mechanic of course blamed it on me "for not checking the oil" !

Apparently there is a hole in the Saginaw gasket that is not on the earlier
tranny ?

Charlie