<VV> Headlight Auto-Off Relay Kit - Adv

David Heath dheath at vanceandhines.com
Thu Oct 21 11:07:04 EDT 2010

Recently, a buddy drove his '60s era car in to work and accidentally left
the lights on.  Needless to say, his battery was beyond dead when he went
out for lunch.  The more I thought about it, the more I wondered why nobody
(that I know of) offered a kit to automatically turn them off.

I put together a kit of two relays and appropriate wiring.  The relays are
activated by any switched power source (I used the radio power lead).  With
the key on, the headlight switch works as normal.  When the key is turned
off, all power to the switch is cut, so the headlights, running lights, and
dash lights all power off.

I was able to source the correct terminals for the headlight switch, so
there is no cutting of the factory harness.  You just have to move two wires
from the factory switch to the relays and plug two new wires into the vacant
openings in the headlight switch (and also find a good ground connection and
a switched power source for relay activation).

I have been driving the car around for a little while with the relays in
place and it really works well.  I am now putting together a kit for my
buddy and before I order parts, was wondering if anyone else might want a
kit.  $35 each + shipping.  Takes about 1/2 hour to install; the hardest
part of the installation is removing the headlight switch so you can get at
the connector and wires.  Should fit any 60s through early 70s era GM car or
truck.  I can email a photo of the kit and instructions for anyone
interested.  Please respond off-line.

Dave
Cypress, CA
'65 Coupe 140/4