<VV> FW: 5 speed transmission

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 5 17:08:26 EDT 2010

From: wrokit at hotmail.com
To: airvair at earthlink.net
Subject: RE: <VV> 5 speed transmission
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 14:06:47 -0700

Mark- I know that Lin did not consider the upside down mounting untill much later, after he found problems with the linkage binding. The binding
problem had to do with the multiple u-joints being not precisely "clocked" with one another, and also the extra friction caused by the bushings and
what not used to keep the selector shaft lined up properly. The original prototype, that I got to drive, did not seem to have these problems to nearly the
same degree as the production one. I believe that the difference in shift feel (prototype vs production) had to do with the sloppier fits that the u-joints
that the prototype had ( as I remember, the u-joints were common u-joints for tools, puchased at the hardware store!). Once he discovered how weak
these u-joints were (they broke after a short while), he started searching for more robust alternatives. As far as I'm aware, the much cleaner installation
possibilities afforded by the upside down arrangement simply were not a consideration (unfortunately) until the deficiencys with the production linkage
system became more obvious.

 Also, there were some problems with flipping the transmission upside down, as the oiling is all screwed up. If I remember, both gear sets would then be above
the mainshaft, and to garrantee good oiling, the oil level must be above the mainshaft (or nearly so) also. This created some sort of an oil leak ( I cant remember
right now exactly where it was) that needed to be dealt with, and there was some additional seals that needed to be made to fit. Heck of a project
for someone like me to take on, but given all the chaos associated with trying to get all of the production transmissions done, was much more than
Lin wanted to take on, except for creating the one and only upside down case for me.
 Kevin Nash