<VV> "Savvy Marketing" - Corvette owners are lurking on VV ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Mon Sep 6 12:52:49 EDT 2010

When it comes to re-selling, that what drives business, typically marking up
250% "to cover costs"

We all lost some great Corvair Kelsey Hayes knockoffs because I was not
savvy enough to know they were also Corvette parts.

I had called GM for info to restore some used wheels, and they told me to
call KH directly.

I called KH and they had 4 sets of NOS wheels, and 128 (!) knock offs, all
brand new (NOS), and they sent them to me to clean out their back room for
new products.

I sold the wheels to Don Schneider and two others Corvair guys for about
1964 prices, but got "snookered" when I got involved with a "Corvair guy"
from Florida on the knockoffs.

I offered the knockoffs in the CQ (or was it CC by then ?) in the 80s, for
$25 each, about what they would have cost in 1964.

This other guy, whose name I can't recall, was taking the orders and doing
the actual shipping, since he had the resources to do that, and I didn't,.
He then claimed no one wanted them in the Corvair club, so he bought them
all from me for about $3000 (about $25 each, as offered).

Turns out over the next few weeks that Corvair people DID want them, but I
found out later that he sold them to Corvette owners instead, and left us
(and me) hanging in the wind.

I do remember that he got a beautiful 1955 Nomad wagon as a result, and I
have wondered where he has been all these years ?

Has anyone heard of a Corvette "motherlode" of knockoffs around that time ?

I have felt terrible about that all these years, because it was supposed to
be a "gift from the past" for CorSA members, but I got ripped off, in a
Spenserian market windfall, for him.

Things would have been different today - I would have sold them through VV,
but who knows how many Corvette owners are lurking in here ?

Charlie