<VV> How Capitalism Works

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon Sep 6 13:50:14 EDT 2010

Smitty Says;  Capitalism works different around here.  Club member mechanic
is replacing rear bearings on a newbie member's car.  It had green bearings
on it.  He says do you have any old bearing shells?  Yeah I got a few.
Could I get a couple to rebuild for so-and-so's car?  OK, come on over.  As
he is digging out the "unrusted" ones from the stash I see that he is cherry
picking a couple of sets of dust shields.  I said, hey, those are kind of
hard to come by.  He says, well so-and so didn't have any on his bearings,
he needs them.  Then I start talking to myself..  You have kept those from
the junk pile for 30 years.  Yeah but what are you going to do with them.
You don't do flea markets and if you sold them for 5 bucks a set it wouldn't
change your lifestyle one bit you cheap ass.  So I give away a pair of
bearing cores and dust shields and all I have to show for it is an empty
spot.
            Another big gain.  Guy says, I'm taking those manifold covers
off.  All they do is make the engine run hot.  Months later.  Guess I better
get my heater working.  Smitty do you have any decent manifold covers.  All
depends on what you call decent.  I have some that aren't rusted through.
What did you do with the ones you took off?  Oh I threw them away.  they
were rusty and dented.  He comes over and I give him a pair.  Man these are
almost as bad as the ones I took off.  Oh, I threw away the thermostat door
frames too.  Do you have any of those?  I find him a couple and am running
my cheapass routine through my head.  He says , these are kind of bent up.
don't you have any better ones.  I took the 4 pieces and threw them back up
into the garage attic.  I told him he should talk to this guy or that guy
because they probably would have better ones.  (They were also going to cost
him some bucks even if they were as bad as mine).