<VV> 100% Membership

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 8 10:41:44 EDT 2010

In a way, I started this thred just to get Hank fired up. But he DOES have
some valid points, the main one of "100% CORSA membership" I support. In
theory at least. I say that because the practical side is that I am not
certain what the real results would be. Are people bluffing? Would CORSA
survive the short term, let alone long term? Would the club hold together?

Too many unknown possibilities. The problem stems from when the club was
first started. In order to appeal to existing clubs (all of maybe two, as I
recall), the open membership policy was adopted. The genie was let out of
the bottle, and I don't think we'll ever put it back in. There's too much
risk involved.

BUT, there's an opportunity to work in that direction, one in which CORSA
(despite hollow, unfulfilled promises) could collect "local" dues for clubs
so choosing it. The Air 'Vair Group and the Stock Corvair Group special
interest chapters have volunteered to be guinea pigs, but nothing has
happened yet. I feel that it's a system worth trying, as it works for other
national clubs. It also has a potential of actually increasing memberships
in local clubs. My question is, why has no action happened?

-Mark

International) and
> we insisted on 100% dues-paying members.  One of the tactics was to
reject
> conference registrations from anyone whose dues were in default.  We
actually
> just included the default dues into their registration fees and if they
refused
> to pay them, they didn't attend.  And we had two conferences per year.  I
know
> it would be a bit more difficult for CORSA because of the activities
conducted
> in public areas such as hotel parking lots, etc.  But there have to be
> workarounds to insist on compliance, for a 100% committed BoD
>
> As for local chapters dropping out: they're bluffing!  Let them try
putting on a
> full-blown convention on their own,  Just one time would be enough to
cure
> them.  If a group did drop out, you would also need to require that all
lapsed
> memberships from that group be caught up and paid in full before they
would be
> accepted back into full membership.  Only one local defection and
reinstatement
> under those conditions should be enough to keep everyone else in line.
>
> Too tough?  To quote an excellent but oft-underrated politician, "If you
can't
> take the heat, get out of the kitchen."
>
> Byron "Hard_ss" Comp
> '64 Monza Vert
> Gainesville, FL
>
> >From: aeroned at aol.com
> >Subject: Re: <VV> CORSA book balancing
> >
> >This is not a simple solution to a very difficult problem....
> >
> >Despite what many think, the BoD has discussed 100% membership over
several
> >years. Chapters were asked for their members feeling on this notion.
>The idea
> >was overwhelmingly rejected by several chapters. Several chapters,
including
> >some of the very large chapters, stated they would withdraw from >CORSA
rather
> >than enforce the 100% membership.
> >
> >So how would that benefit CORSA?
> >And how would CORSA enforce such a rule?
> >Perhaps CORSA could get volunteers to be the membership police at each
chapter?
> >We could give them brown shirts too.
> >
> >If you think you have all the answers, or even just 2, run for the CORSA
BoD.