<VV> 140 pg valve noise

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 00:34:05 EDT 2010

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:32:46 EDT
> From: N2VZD at aol.com
> Subject: Re: <VV> CORVAIR CAM GEARs
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> i am running a 140 PG block , cam , crank , that i did not split because it
> LOOKED clean and new , crank journals measured stock. it runs great (110
> heads) , has great oil pressure , but valve train noise can not be calmed
> down. it sounds like all are loose, but not that loud. i guess cam gear might
> be the issue. i will tear into it after we are done with car club stuff
> for the season. i will be interested in finding the problem. the other motors
> i put together are all quiet. only way i can describe it , is like a 62
> vette fuelie i had with solid lifters years ago.
> i dont think i ever had a bad gear before , but i have heard that a few
> failed where they are pressed on the cam? probably from motors without
> enough oil changes ...more someday.
> regards from vt , tim colson

  Tim-
 I  dont think that the cam gear is the source of the noise you are hearing, as I had a 140 that
had a loose cam gear, and it did not have any lifter tick or valve noise. The loose cam gear
makes a " donka donk donka donk" type noise, and is caused by the gear sliding and hitting
the bell housing- amazingly enough, I drove that car for 3-4 years that way, and never never
had any problems with the gear, other than the kooky noise (it could normally be only heard at
idle). I know it was a loose cam gear because I later took the engine apart to rebuild it, and
was shocked to see the gear slide forwards and backwards on the cam nose.

I believe that your valve noise is probably shot rocker arms- my current engine has the same
noise you are describing, I also have excellent oil pressure, no lifter clatter at start-up, I've
been able to get the noise to go away by keeping the rpms above 3000 for an extended period,
(like when driving down the freeway)  and the engine is also very quiet when I let it set for
3 days. I have a set of brand new corvair rocker arms on order (they are supposed to be
an exact repro- we will see!!) and will replace all rocker arms, ball pivot and nuts.
Should make for a good experiment.!
Kevin