<VV> Hank, the Book, the Canopy, and the Director

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Sep 23 10:46:35 EDT 2010

In follow-up to a message posted on VV by Hank Kaczmarek I now write:

Was the Corvair Basics book a good idea?  Indeed it was.

Does that mean that it should have been automatically approved in
advance by all directors?  No, it does not.

The one former director whose past decisions still irritate Hank voted
the way he saw fit.  The book was approved.  So it wasn't unanimous.
Most such decisions aren't.

Since Hank noted that the director in question is a friend of mine, I
will expand:  He is a 35-year member of my local chapter, and a past
officer of the chapter.  We are friends, but we have disagreed,
sometimes greatly, on everything from club matters to national
politics.  But -- here's the key -- we respect each other's individual
thinking and opinions.  That enabled us, for example, to work together
on last year's 50th anniversary event, even though our thoughts on what
the event should be were wildly different.

As for the CORSA canopy, it was then and remains today a good idea --
executed miserably.  Did you notice this summer's "CPF Tour" conceived,
organized, and conducted by Pete Koehler?  The idea behind the CORSA
canopy was similar -- use it to put CORSA in front of non-CORSA members,
at non-CORSA events such as those Pete visited this year.  The problem
was then and is now, few are willing to do the sort of things that Pete
did this summer, so the canopy went to waste.  That's not the fault of
the individual who thought up the idea, it's the fault of the balance of
the Board that approved it without a plan of action and it's the fault
of all the rest of us who contribute to CORSA's naval-gazing mindset.

The Basics book succeeded, but it was still badly underutilized.  It
should have been on display and available for purchase under that canopy
at major car shows and events such as those Pete visited this year.  It
should have been a prominent feature on the CORSA home page, so that
first-time visitors to the site would find this helpful resource right
off the bat.  It should have been offered as an available title to
auto-related booksellers.  Instead, it was rather routinely promoted
within the existing hobby.

Pete Koehler this summer got more public exposure for the CPF, for
CORSA, and for the Corvair hobby in general than anyone has ever
gotten.  He sold a significant quantity of CORSA merchandise.  He did
these things to demonstrate that they can be done.  They should have
been done beginning ten years ago, with that canopy.  My fear is that
now, with Pete having completed his tour, the ball will now be dropped.
A cohesive plan for 2011 and beyond is needed.

--Bob Marlow