<VV> Un-Insured Insurance

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Apr 19 22:19:15 EDT 2011

At 04:53 PM 4/19/2011, chaz at properproper.com wrote:
>"They" walk into the US, somehow get a car, get in it and crash into
>you.
>
>No - no one checked them out (and if someone did, they could well be
>using my SS #, driving on "my" license, etc.)

Then they should go to jail and stay there a while.   For real.  A
long while.   This nonsense has gone on long enough.

>No, they didn't pay anyone anything - they just got in the car and
>drove.

If I'd done that, *I* would have gone to jail.

>This insurance is NOT paid for by the uninsured guy - the injured party
>(hopefully) paid for, and gets "some" compensation from their own
>"uninsured motorist" insurance.

This is where that uninsured motorist's vehicle fund SHOULD be... but isn't.

>In VA, do you ahve to pay insurance on your unregistered Corvair
>"driveway furniture" as "property" ?

You do if it has tags on it.   If it doesn't have tags, you get
reported for having an unlicensed vehicle in view of the street.  So,
you tag it and insure it or you have to hide it out of sight and a
car cover isn't going to do it.

>Maybe they want it to be insured just in case you feel like taking it
>for an un-authorized joy ride and damage something ?

In VA, if the car has tags on it, the car is insured or you pay that
fee.   If you do not, a series of unfortunate events occur.

>I had to put my Corvair on a "non-op" registration here in CA, probably
>just so CA can "pad its coffers" and keep track of what cars there are
>out there ?

There was an attempt at a similar move some years ago here in VA,
involving some additions to a modified variant of a "clunker law"
that was intended to raise taxes on vintage cars, mandate
registration and insurance and safety inspections for any car you
own... up to and including everything/anything between a rusted out
parts car and a restored Bentley.   What's more, these mandates were
included in a rider that had been attached to another unrelated bill
in an attempt to pass it without anybody actually finding out about
it.   Somebody did, and a batch of people from the AAA petitioned an
audience with the governor who cordially struck the bill down and
refused to consider it until the rider was removed.

And I bet almost nobody anywhere knows about that cute little stunt
that may well have become Law here if somebody hadn't been paying attention.

I can think of at least 3 project Corvairs I would have had to
dispose of at that time because I wouldn't have been able to afford
to get all of them sufficiently roadworthy to pass a safety
inspection, then register/tag/insure them all.

>I just discovered something from GEICO about insurance rebates when you
>do not drive your car ...  see separate email ...

...I've not driven my '60 4-door on the highways since last October
(well, until Sunday anyway).   I've been paying insurance on it the
entire time... just so I can keep the vintage plates active.   It has
always been insured.

tony..