<VV> starting 28,000 mile Corsa

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Thu Apr 21 11:46:41 EDT 2011

Wow, sounds like a great find.  Was the car shipped on an open carrier? It's
possible that the lid was not latched and wind forced the lid open and
created all the damage. If not their insurance company, yours should cover
it as a recently acquired vehicle.  I had an event with our family van where
the other party (Self-insured FedEx) didn't want to step up. My insurance
company (State Farm) paid for the repair and then successfully collected
from FedEx.

Re starting. When I revive an engine that's been sitting forever I take
every precaution since overhauls are so expensive. I put oil in each
cylinder or spray with marine fogging oil.  I pull the oil pan and clean out
any settled material, reinstall the pan and install fresh oil and filter.
Then I pull the valve covers and use a pump oiler to lubricate the valve
stems, and pull the distributor to be able to turn the oil pump with a drill
motor and pre-lube the engine. Rotate the engine and observe the valve
action to ensure there are no sticking valves.  If the fuel is old, you will
want to get it out of there and clean the tank. If you are anxious,
disconnect the fuel line by the starter and run a hose into a tank of fresh
fuel.  The big thing is to get everything lubed before you start grinding on
it.  If the motor has only been sitting a couple of years, you can probably
get away with an oil change, cylinder lube, and some fresh fuel.  Just my
approach as always.

Craig Nicol

66 140/4 EFI

66 4.2L 4dr