<VV> Fwd: Old timer timing

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Fri Aug 5 08:05:48 EDT 2011

A timing light would give a backyard mechanic a clue.  Knowing what kind of car with which they are dealing is an important part of diagnosing problems to an experienced mechanic.  I would suspect, if the vehicle was running as the mechanic [no such thing as a 'tech' back then] approached, he would see what kind of car it is and already suspect one of two possibilities just by the sound.  Experience and feel will allow him to hone in on the problem without ever cracking open a book.  If a repair is needed an experienced mechanic will probably not 'follow the book' in any repair job because it just is not necessary to start with the radiator cap [oops, sorry :-)] and end with the tailpipe.

'Techs' of today will almost never be in that position.  The nature of electronics renders examination useless.  Most of the time a 'tech' must rely upon their diagnostic equipment [their 'book'.]

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.