<VV> Electric vehicles -- road taxes

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Thu Dec 1 13:08:26 EST 2011

The most likely scenario is to charge by miles driven based on GPS
tracking technology.  A trial was proposed, but it was shouted down by
opponents.  I predict the shouts of the opponents will eventually be
drowned out by the need to tax EVs and high mpg gasoline vehicles.
Vehicles lacking the technology could be made subject to hefty
"non-conforming" registration fees.

When the base technology is in place, new capabilities can be added such
as automating the tax collection process for speeding, monitoring engine
performance data to find and fine polluters, etc.  The potential uses
are endless.

Dave Keillor