<VV> Turbo Distributor Questions

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Dec 5 21:08:05 EST 2011

Answers (suggestions?) inline:

On Dec 5, 2011, at 6:21 AM, Bruce Johannesson wrote:

> Is it possible to convert the 110 distributor to one suitable for a turbo by swapping the cam, weights, springs, and canister? (I'm guessing about $175 to buy these parts from Clark's)

The shafts may be different as well.  There's an exhaustive article in the Tech Guide on the various parts, I would look there.

> The current distributor is otherwise in perfect shape.  If I replace these parts, is there a better combination than stock?Is there a more cost effective solution rather than buying the individual components?Does anyone have any experience using some sort of computer controlled distributor rather than the mechanical ones? (I'm not above building one myself.)
> Thanks in "advance"

You might look into a SafeGuard, I have spoken to several owners who said they worked very well with the turbo.  I helped install one, it performed exactly as advertised.  With one of those, you can use a more aggressive mechanical advance, vacuum advance under no boost, and just let the SafeGuard handle the retard under boost.  See

http://www.american-pi.com/safeguard/safeguard2.html

--Bryan