<VV> EM v LM shifters

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Feb 16 15:37:46 EST 2011

In a message dated 2/16/2011 12:09:15 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
shortle556 at earthlink.net writes:

The  change came about so that the engineers would have something to do. No
really,  I don't know the biggest reasons for all the changes but certainly
a lot did  change EM vs. LM. I know some companies even sold a "quick
shift" kit for the  Corvairs. In my opinion the '66 transmision shifting was a
bit stiffer than  the '65. Anyone else notice this '65 vs. '66?
Timothy Shortle in  (beautiful, snowy) Durango Colorado

I am not sure, Tim. One of the main changes was the stabilization of the
shifter by attaching it to the front crossmember of the transmission. Perhaps
 this was needed because the powerpack moved around a bit in the late
chassis and  they wanted the shifter to stay in relationship to the trans. As far
as the 65  versus the 66 transmissions - it is simple physics. All of the
internal parts of  the 65 transmissions, both 3-speed and 4-speed, are
smaller and lighter than  their counterparts in the 66-69 (so-called) Saginaw
trans. It takes more  physical pressure to get that extra weight to move. And
inside the trans, the  synchros work harder because they are trying to match
heavier components to  speed. I have noticed this as well, and I have heard
it from  others.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
San Jose,  CA