<VV> DC Convention

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Feb 19 00:33:22 EST 2011

At 03:25 AM 2/18/2011, Ray Rodriguez III wrote:

Also the SR-71 with the standing speed
>record sits right in the center.  The record was set on it's way to be
>parked there... Los Angeles To Washington D.C. (World Record): Distance:
>2,299.67 statute miles...Time: 1 hr 04 min 19.89 secs...Average Speed:
>2,144.83 mph.

This airplane holds the current cross-country speed record.

Another SR71 holds an unofficial speed record for a production air
breathing jet powered aircraft which is considerably higher than 2144
mph, set by default as it was run at full-tilt, throttles to the wall
in an effort to outpace several SAMs which were launched at it during
a photo-recon mission over territory which was owned by a
nation-state not partial to airspace incursions.   Evidently the
shots had been unexpected and were already "cooking hard" in the
direction of the Blackbird in question which was already running hard
itself and there were doubts as to whether they could stay ahead of
the SAMs which had a Mach-4+ capability.

The Blackbird's RSO (guy in back) kept tabs on the incoming, and was
reported to have said "OK Skipper, we've outrun them, you REALLY need
to back off on the throttles right now".

He had been concerned about stress on the airplane because of
"excessive speed causing overheating of the airframe" and engine
temps well into the red.  When the mission logs were analyzed, the
airplane's recorded top speed was withheld from release in the
mission report.

SR71s returning to Kadena AFB from high speed recon missions
routinely were so hot that parts of the airplane were untouchable,
radiating heat "like a big bar-b-cue grill".

Undocumented remarks by some sources have suggested the SR71's
airframe is structurally limited to appx mach-4 although the engines
are not capable of pushing it that fast, at least not with the 1960s
technology that remained in use through 1999.   Other sources have
suggested that advances in engine tech and ramjet (SR71 engines
behave as ramjets at speeds above Mach-2) inlet nozzle design could
improve the engine efficiency to allow speeds (in a different
airframe) as high as Mach-6 although no such airframe has been
admitted to exist.

Ned...?

...oops, kinda off-topic for here, so anything else maybe oughta go
to vv-talk.

tony..

--- "Yea, though I fly through the valley of death, I shall fear no
evil for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing."