<VV> Cooling Question

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 14:10:25 EST 2011

Bill,

As you've already sealed the engine compartment and deflashed the heads the
 next area I would check is the condenser seals to the body.  GM installed
the condenser with square shaped dense foam strips that run between the
body and  the top and bottom of the '66 & '67 style condensers to prevent air
from  being pulled around the condenser instead of through it.  The condenser
 should also be vacuumed from the front side (in the area below the grill
behind  the rear window) and back flushed from the engine side into the area
below the  grill whenever it gets dirty.  One owner I knew did this every
spring  without fail.  If the condenser is clean, sealed properly and the
engine  shrouding/seals are intact then all the engine cooling air will come to
the  cooling fan through the condenser.  The air will be warmer from the
A/C's  heat load being dumped by the condenser, but the cooling fan has the
capacity to  still cool the engine.  The only overheat conditions I have seen
when the  cars were new(ish) in the '70s was due to leaky shrouding/engine
seals  and a dirty condenser which caused hot air from beneath and behind the
car to be  pulled into the engine compartment by the cooling fan.

But if I owned a '66 or '67 with AC I would probably install two small fans
 on the engine side of the condenser for heavy traffic conditons as well.

Best of luck with it.

Bob Hall