<VV> Cooling Question

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 16:00:05 EST 2011

Here's why:
1. The engine was designed for top down cooling.
2. The top side of the engine gets FAR cleaner air than the bottom!
3. Convective forces are so small compared to what the fan does, it
doesn't matter.

All of the things you mention may be worthwhile on a water pumper, but
Corvair engines (as well as automotive air cooled engines in general)
have rather high pressure differentials across the fins, etc. About 10X
that of a radiator. Meaning, unless you find a way to generate SERIOUS
air pressure, you're, quite literally, spitting into the wind! Also, as
has been proven many times here, electric fans are simply incapable of
developing these kinds of pressures, at least from any practical
standpoint!

John Roberts