<VV> Cooling Question

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 5 15:49:49 EST 2011

Hi Bill and Happy New Year to all,
I believe the only advantage to having electric cooling fans like you describe would be to lower the high side pressure at idle or low speeds. This is why the original '66 system had a ground switch that shut off the compressor if the hood was raised. This is why the factory shop manual suggests servicing the system with 1 tailite removed and the gauge hoses going thru that opening. Certainly you want the seals on the condensor ('66 type) to keep air from going around instead of thru. Do you have a 12 plate oil cooler? Does it have both side shrouds on the cooler? Do you have the stock valve covers and oil pan? A/C high side pressure, cylinder head temp., and engine oil temp. are 3 different issues though interrelated here.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado