<VV> update on tires - Anyone need whitewalls?

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu Jan 6 15:37:27 EST 2011

At 11:50 1/06/2011 -0500, Ed in Florida wrote:

>OK  so here's what I did today (boss was out of the office). I called
>several tire dealers who in turn called their suppliers. I asked if they
>could
>get 185x80x13 tires. Some laughed, some said no way, one guy said he hasn't
>seen those since he was in diapers! All asked what they were going on and
>when
>I told them the usual comments were made. Anyway I stopped at Tire Kingdom
>on the way home. He said he had at least 70 of them in the Tampa warehouse
>and over 100 in the West Palm Beach warehouse. I'm in the Tampa-St.
>Petersburg area. They are $71.00 a piece plus tax, mounting etc.
>       He gave me a store directory and although they are called different
>names they seem to be all over the US.If you want to persue this in your area
>email me and I can tell you what is near you. They only come in blackwall.
>        Would have liked to have had whitewalls but hey it's a tire.

It turns out that about 9 months ago I was able to purchase a set of 5
Firestone FR-380 185/80R13 whitewall tires.  They are new and have not yet
been mounted.  I had been planning to put them on a 500 model I am
restoring.  I would really prefer to have blackwalls to put on this car but
I had a hard enough time finding these as it is.

If anyone is able to find an equivalent set of 5 185/80R13 blackwall tires,
I would be willing to arrange some sort of swap.  I suppose I could also
mount them whitewall side inward, but that seems kind of silly.

Please email me off-list.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI