<VV> Can't Select Reverse

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 16:23:38 EST 2011

This morning, I reversed the car out of its normal
downhill-towards-the-harbor parking spot without any difficulty, drove
around to church, etc., and selected reverse several times without
incident. This afternoon, with the car parked downhill toward the ocean,
I cannot select reverse at all. It makes no difference whether the
engine is running or off, or whether I select other gears first. When
you try and go left into reverse, it will swing left but not forward
into reverse. There's no grinding noise or clutch engagement, just no
movement. The clutch works fine in all forward gears.

Can someone help me with what's going on here? I need to use the car but
this will have to be a field repair. I have the shop manual but the
diagrams don't tell me much about what to look for to diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Aronson

 Jeff,  you need more rotation of the selector shaft in the trans.....CCW  IIRC...

A worn coupler / pin... clamp loose...

I'd get under and loosen the clamp...twist the selector shaft CCW  and re- tighten.

Hope this helps!

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/reswr0kp/