<VV> Distributor Rebuilding Help Needed

Tom Hughes corvairdad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 08:22:23 EST 2011

My daughter's '68 110 engine was not holding a steady dwell, so checked the
shaft for looseness and found it moved all over. I swapped in a spare
distributor, ordered a new bushing, and disassembled the dist. This included
carefully forcing off the cam from the shaft. This was the first time I've
tackled a distributor rebuild. Last night I began the rebuild by pressing a
cold bushing into a heated housing. The next step was to press the cam back
onto the oiled end of the shaft. I did this, but now the cam does not turn
freely on the shaft. I pushed it back off, used some emory cloth on the
shaft, re-oiled, and re-installed. A little better, but definitely still not
free.

I'm stumped. Would someone please share the trick for getting this back
together properly?

Much thanks,

--
Tom in Baltimore