<VV> Choke & Fast Idle Adjustments (was: ambient???????)

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sun Jan 16 18:25:48 EST 2011

"...If the engine stalls when started, then you need to adjust the  choke
rods a bit longer to increase spring tension and keep the choke plates  more
closed with air flowing past them..."

No disagreement with the above, but have this to add. If the choke  rods
are already adjusted sufficiently to pull the choke plates fully closed  (with
engine off, after tapping the gas petal), and the engine still stalls,
then a look at the fast idle adjustment is indicated (tang on throttle lever
needs to be on the second step of fast idle cam, with .075 clearance between
idle stop screw and the throttle level). If stalling persists, and the
carbs and  all else are known to be "good," it is sometimes helpful to
straighten the choke  pull-off linkage, slightly (don't over do it), to allow the
choke plates to  stay closed a bit more than the setting shown in the shop
manual (this  also gives the fast idle cam a bit more "authority").

My wife constantly complained about 110 67 PG 110 stalling on cold  start
up. I followed the procedure detailed above... no more  stalling.

Mike Mauro