<VV> Early Clutch Cable Question

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 21 13:34:04 EST 2011

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:17:48 -0800
> From: Chris & Bill Strickland <lechevrier at earthlink.net>
> Subject: <VV> early clutch cable question
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
> It has been a while since I worked on an early clutch system, and I
> simply don't remember, but I do not recall the cable being a two-piece
> affair -- I recently came across what I believe to be an original cable
> in a 1960 that is of composite design, the front part being a softer and
> more flexible cable that is swaged to a stiffer type cable for the rear
> half. No, I am not talking about some home-brewed repair job.
>
> I just don't recall this from the numerous early cables that I have
> replaced -- is this the correct early design? Are the current
> replacements of this same style?
>
> Your input is welcomed,
>
> Bill Strickland

 Bill- The cables offered now are not correct, the one you describe with the softer, more flexible front end
is the correct one. The large number of fine wires on the front part of the original ones is to allow the cable to bend  around the
pulleys at the clutch pedal end, without fatigue. When the newer repro cables are used, they break at the pulley after 3000 miles
or so. I had this problem on my daily driven early when using a repro cable,  and (after it broke at the pulley)
looked into the matter, and found that the minimum acceptable bend radius for the repro cable was WAY too
large for everyday use. The other thing is that the actual force required to push the clutch in is much higher
with the repro cables than with the original cable.
Kevin Nash