<VV> Sealing/locking the flexplate bolts

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 20:37:25 EST 2011

I have had a leak there. When I bought this car a few years ago, my
first task was to seal leaks, and I changed out the clutch while at
it. I was confused as to why there was this brown hard goo on the
threads for the flywheel bolts and was too dumb at the time to realize
(my excuse, it had been since 1972 when I owned my last corvair, and I
knew how to change a clutch, so didn't read the manual, which I had in
the garage at the time.). So, I put it back together dry, and voila, I
had leaks within a short time and was truely disheartened after all
that work. When I took the engine out to overhaul it this last fall,
that front seal was dry, but all six bolts were wet. Lesson learned.
Mark Durham