<VV> Value and MY cars

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 01:08:08 EDT 2011

_ronh at owt.com_ (mailto:ronh at owt.com)  writes:

"when  it's time to sell"?
Why is there a time to sell??
Once you get all of  the bugs out of it and have it parade ready, it'd be
stupid to sell  it!  I have four Corvairs that are NOT for  sale.
RonH

I am on board with Ron here. I can't ever remember buying any  car with the
intent of selling it? (Probably one of the reasons I have too  many cars
around here). I have plans for a car. I do admit, I have bought  a few knowing
they were parts cars, headed for the grave. But usually, I  have detailed
plans on what to do with this newly bought vehicle. I suppose that  if I
bought a car intending to re-sell it for more, or fix or modify it to make  it
more appealing, I would be disappointed to lose money. I should add that I
have received less for a car than I had into it, including added items, but
I look at that as the luck of the "draw". I am also just as sure that I have
 received cars for a lot less than the buyer had into it. That is the good
side of the "draw". I once sold a real  Yenko Stinger for about  what I had
paid for it, maybe 6 years before (A lot less than I had spent  on it in
total). The car has since been restored and it probably worth (as in  what
someone would likely pay for it) 40 times what I sold it for. But I was  happy
to see it leave my driveway those many years ago, I had raced it many
times, and autocrossed it to Championships for several years. I was ready to
move on. And that is really the only reason I ever sell a car. Because I am
ready to move on to another project. And when I am ready - I am ready! And the
 cars go somewhere else. Of course, plans change sometimes and the lessons
learned from losing money on a deal are worth at least the price of
admission. I  haven't been so crazy about doing this that I haven't managed to stay
married to  a very understanding wife for 38 years. Of course, I think I
had three Corvair  when we got married, so it should have been no surprise to
her.

As far as Allen's 69 convertible, and it's value. Hey that is in  another
world from me and my cars. Allen and I go way back. He succeeded me as  Corsa
president almost 20 years ago. But, besides being an Insurance guy,  he is
a car collector and lives in that world. Like most Corsa members, I  am not
a "car collector", I am just a guy who has a few cars. Like several other
folks who expressed their opinions, I hope Allen get's what he wants (as
defined  by saying yes to an offer) for his car. It will have little effect on
my  Corvairs, because, like Ron, I have no plans - at this time - to sell
them.

Seth Emerson