<VV> [FC] Concern on head removal

Andy rumbleseat66 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 18 15:33:39 EDT 2011

Yes it can be done.  The rear needs to be lowered which means freeing up all the sheetmetal to body weatherstripping (if you have any).  I like to somehow loosen the front trans mounts in some way as to not twist and strain them.  Can't remember if it will drop down far enough without pulling the axles - probably not.  Of course it's easier if you remove the carb studs.

Soaking the headnuts days before you start can't hurt.  Everybody probably has a different trick but I like to grab the stud with a vice-grips and hit the nut with my impact wrench.  Requires removing the top shround though.

By the time you disconnect everything needed to drop it down enough to do the head, you will notice the whole powertrain is ready to come out.  If you have a nice powertrain jack you might as well remove it.  But if this is a one man operation with a floor jack, a piece of wood and a prayer then leaving it on those front mounts can be much easier and safer.

Good luck!

Andy

Sent via MOTOBLUR™ on Verizon Wireless