<VV> 110 WOWS!

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Jul 30 11:37:44 EDT 2011

>My wife has a  '66 110 powerglide convertable. After driving  around for 20
>miles or so the engine sounds and feels like it is trying to run out of
>fuel.
>For short trips around town the car runs GREAT with no problems at all.
>
>Have a eletric pump plus the old manual. I do not think it is vapor locking,
>
>just don't see how it could, all lines are  away from all heat sourses. It
>kind
>of acts like vapor loocking though, but I just can't figure out how.
>
>Could the old manual pump that is still in the system be giving me a
>problem?
>Even though I have a elteric one at the tank, have been running it this way
>for
>3 or 4 years though.
>
>Anyone have any other ideas?...Thank you in advance,
>Joe  Reid,
>Brownsburg Indiana

Just for funzies, disconnect both ends of that fuel line from tank
(or electric pump) to the stock pump inlet and blow through it.   Gas
doesn't taste so bad once you're used to it.    You should be able to
blow through it without turning red in the face.   If you can't, you
may have a partially tarred up steel fuel line, especially if the car
ever sat for a long time sometime during its history with dead gas
slowly turning into syrup then chewing gum, plating the insides of
the fuel line.    Been there done that twice.   The second time was
in the '62 ragtop, had to run a length of steel wire through it to
"break up the clot" and blow lacquer thinner through it with a high
pressure air hose to finally clear it, shot a wad of some kind of
sticky stinky glop across the yard once the fuel line came clean.

Or, like Bob said, an aftermarket fuel filter will do this too. so
blow through that as well.

Last note:   A clogged tank pickup filter sock can do this too, same
reason- if the car ever sat for a long period of time with old gas in
it (like 2-3 years or more).

tony..