<VV> 110 WOWS!

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Jul 30 12:10:28 EDT 2011

At 01:19 PM 7/11/2011, Dennis Pleau wrote:
>Sounds to me like the gas cap is not properly vented.

I knew a guy who had a '69 Coronet with the wrong gas cap (looked
more like a radiator cap) that failed to vent anything, and his gas
tank "shrunk".   The engine never let on that it was starved for fuel
or gave any other symptom of improper running but his gas tank caved
in and did NOT pop back out.  Afterwards, his gauge never read
"empty" before running dry, which is how he found out about the
shrunken tank.   Of course, you likely have seen the tank in a '69
Coronet and it's shaped more like a slab than a tank.

'69 Cuda tanks are like that, had one of them.   It also had a
slightly shrunken look on the bottom, wouldn't show empty when it
was, popped it back out by pumping a bit of air into it.   I also
unclogged the cap vent, took a bit of work since it had that big
chrome flip-cap on it that required some disassembly.    Looked like
a mud dauber had been inside it.

Corvair tanks wouldn't likely collapse like that even if the fuel
pump was stalled completely by a clogged cap vent.

tony..