<VV> Picking is OK.

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Sat Mar 5 17:51:26 EST 2011

Tony:  Sorry I'm tardy getting back to you all with the real info.  I've
been off with our kids and g'kids, dealing with stuff and working on my
stack of what Pete Egan referred to as " The things they will immediately
sell (or throw out) the minute you are dead."  OK, it may take a couple of
weeks, but they have no use for most of my inventory of stuff.  My oldest
grandson, age 9, recently asked me if he can have all my model airplanes
when I die.  I said sure, and anything else you want.  We lost his other
Papa a year ago.  The other grandfather parted this life as we know it
before any of our other daughters 3 children could form any memories.
Sometimes it is very uncomfortable being the only living grandfather to our
5 grandchildren.

So, Tony, you are absolutely correct about the 4-speed history.  This is
what happens when you read a story as a 16 yr old in R&T, save the picture
of the Corvair, but not the article or the magazine.  When I found that
issue many years ago, I read it again and file it in a folder for a
Communique article named "Corvair Racing: 1959 thru 1968".  Then forget to
remember to check the article before telling the tale which Tony correctly
called me on.  Sorry.  My bad.

OK, here is briefly what happened at the first road race the Corvair was in,
fall of 1959.  They got beat by Falcons and Rambler Americans for two
reasons.  First, all the cars had 3-speeds.  Because of the final drive
ratios (hay Frank, remember those things!), the Corvairs had to drive the
entire course in 3rd.  The Falcons and Ramblers had a different rear axle
ratio, which allowed them to use 2nd gear coming off the corners.  Corvair
would catch them in the corners, they would pull away on the straights.
Only way to get by was if one of them made a mistake.  But the pass would
not stick for long.  Then there were the tire problems.  Two different
brands for the Corvairs.  The left rear tire on for brand x would wear out
and them blow out.  Causing at least on 'vair to flip.  Brand Y would merely
wear out, but there weren't enough of them.  So to many pit stops.

Round 1 to them.  It didn't get much better for Corvairs in sedan racing.
Ever.  Next race, Corvairs had 4 speeds and Duntov in the pits.  Not much
better.  Yenko Stingers five years later, were a different story, but they
were not sedans according to the rules.

Not stuck in a car that will barely keep up with its shadow, I remain,

Historically Yours,
			James

PS: Lates eat earlies on road courses.  Unless Smitty or Marlow are driving.
Then watch out.  VBG!!!

Message: 8