<VV> Corvair content, Really! (brakes)

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Mar 22 21:33:04 EDT 2011

Hi Pete,

Sounds like a good weekend.  We did ok here too - had a club meeting with one of our members who works as a painter at a local dealer.  Doug went so far as to arrange for a minor dent in his car, so we all got to watch one of the body men hammer and dolly out the dent, skim the area with *very* little filler (it could have been done with high fill primer), seal and go into the paint booth.  Trevor and I attended in the '66.

On the drive, we both noted the brakes were 'not quite right'.  After getting home I checked the master cylinder - a dual unit I installed a few years ago from the Corvair Ranch - and found a dry front cylinder.  So, at least some dual m/c conversions work under some failure conditions.  I'll add that I had carefully adjusted the pushrod so that the brakes had very little play.  Ironically it was due for a brake flush this spring.

Got the mirrors on the wagon as well, thanks for the measurements.  Lee Cramp brought dealer accessory installation books to the meeting that were helpful too.  We took it for a spin on Sunday to get an oil filter for our lawn mower, I can see things behind us in the mirrors and open the vent windows too :-)

--Bryan