<VV> New SCG Website Opens

William Hubbell whubbell at verizon.net
Fri May 6 08:36:27 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

Kent Sullivan, Marissa Andolino, and I have been hard at work getting the
new SCG WordPress <http://wordpress.org/>  site and Forum up and running. We
are launching it with the publishing of the May Communique  to coincide with
an article Kent wrote about Corvair powertrain jacks and cradles which
invites people to the new site to post info on their own equipment.

You can start by going to the site, http://stock.corvair.org/, and looking
at the site before you register. See what you are able to do in this
state-it shouldn't be much - just a home page and some information about SCG
and links to various Corvair sites of interest to General and Stock Corvairs
.  This is the public face of SCG.  If you have any ideas or suggestions for
spicing this page up, please send me suggestions.

We would like this site to become a central point for all things related to
Stock Corvairs.  I know that there are many other people who have been
actively working on various Stock research projects, and I have made an
initial attempt to link to as many of them as I can, but I am certain that
there are many, many more that I have not identified.  So please, look over
the site and if you have or know of a project that should be listed, or of a
web page that should be linked to, etc., notify me and I will add it to the
site.

Next, register for an account.  You will be sent an e-mail giving you a
password to get into the site and you will be granted Subscriber status,
which again should not let you do much (to protect against spammers) other
than read content.  Check the Help File located on the blue menu bar to read
more about this user level.  Subscriber status will also allow you to enter
the new SCG Forum where at this level you have read-only access

After you have registered as a Subscriber, one of the three of us will then
approve you for Contributor status which will grant you access to the
Members Area with a whole lot of additional content and give you the ability
to write posts or comments, but they must be approved by an editor before
posting.  Once you are elevated to this status you will be able to read help
information about writing posts and uploading media content.  You will also
be elevated to Member status in the Forum where you will be able to post,
upload media, and respond to posts.

There is a bit of a learning curve to the site, so we want you to play
around in this level for a little while - get used to making posts,
uploading media, etc., while we continue to monitor and help you.  After a
bit, we will elevate SCG members to Author status and they will be able to
write and publish their own posts and comments without Editor approval.
Non-SCG members will be kept in Contributor status; Membership in SCG has
its privilages.

SCG officers and serious researchers will be elevated to Editor Status when
they are ready.  Editors have considerable Admin control over the site, so
we must restrict this level to only the few who require it.

Marissa will remain as the site's sole Administrator and has full control,
for safety and security reasons

There is a method to all this madness, as we are trying hard to make a site
that will be useful for our group seriously interested in Stock Corvairs
while still keeping the spammers under control and preventing inadvertent
damage to the site.

The site is being hosted on the CORSA server, and we have implemented (and
tested) secure backup procedures, having learned our lesson the hard way.

The site still has some bugs and there are features we are continuing to
develop, but with the imminent publication of Kent's article, it is time to
open it up to all SCG and CORSA members. Please feel free to post comments
or concerns about the site.

I hope you will enjoy it and find it useful.

Bill Hubbell

SCG President