<VV> Right fit for 61' 700 4dr corvair

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu May 12 16:01:27 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/12/2011 11:46:16 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jorge_o_flor at yahoo.com writes:

I want  to move from stock wheels to bigger new custom wheels.

Has anyone  tried to fit 16"-17"? is 15" the biggest that i could fit? and
what is the  right offset?

I know most people on VV will fall over if they hear ME saying it, but
don't go too big on wheel/tire size. The early model wheel wells - especially
the rear -  won't allow a very large tire. If you choose a shorter  cross
section tire, you may be fine with a 15" wheel. A 15 x 6" wheel,  with close
to stock backspace, and a 195/60-15 tire should clear, but the  rears will be
close. Since the early model uses a 4 bolt on 4.5" (AKA 4 on  114.3mm),
after market wheels are pretty common. The 195/60-15 is about 24.2"  tall. In
comparison a 185/80-13, about as close as is available in stock sizes,  is
listed as 24.7" tall. A 60 series tire will still provide a reasonable ride.
and you will get 1" of extra tread width. Be sure to tall the wheel supply
place  that you are using wheel lugs that are 7/16" - 20 RH thread, and you
need the  appropriate lug nuts. Good luck with your upgrade. Do you have a
brand name for  the 15 x 6 wheel they mentioned?  PMX501 draws no hits.

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette
San Jose, CA