<VV> Talbot Mirrors on a LM

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Fri May 13 10:39:52 EDT 2011

Thanks for the input and pictures regarding Talbot mirrors. I plan to go
with the Talbot mirrors which I already have and drill my expensive
paint job. (Note that I have the genuine Talbots in the 4" size.) The
reasons for my choice:

-- The Talbots look cool.

-- They give essentially the same visibility as the original mirrors.
The 4" Talbots have 17% less glass area than the originals, but I'm
using convex it's rather mild) on both sides which more than
compensates.

-- Granted the original mirrors are not all that great for visibility,
but the visibility in the LM Corvair is so good that the side mirrors
are only needed for the small blind spot at each rear quarter.

-- I was able to modify the right side mirror to get good adjustability
using two methods. First, I enlarged the holes in the cone piece a
little so I could put a slight downward tilt on the point of the cone.
Second, I ground off some metal on the trailing edge of the mounting
pedestal to tilt the mirror in towards the car a bit. (The pedestal is
chrome plated brass, so it's easy to modify.)

The end result is that with the seat all the way back (for me), the
right side mirror can be adjusted to the point where I can see the side
of the car (too far). My wife with the seat all the way up and the
mirror all the way in has about a 10 degree angle of view wrt the side
of the car which is about perfect to cover the blind spot.

When the drilling and mounting is complete, I'll post pictures

Dave Keillor