<VV> Fuel pump issues

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Sat May 28 13:45:55 EDT 2011

I had a '67 Corvair once that vapor locked all the time and was getting
impossible to drive in hot weather.  It turns out the fuel pump pushrod had
a weak or collapsed spring.  I rummaged around in the pile-o-parts bin and
discovered that the spring on my push rod was way short of all the others.
I changed the pushrod and that ended the drivability problems.  It ran
better at speed and didn't vapor lock anymore.  So if you have vapor lock
problems try putting a new pushrod in before adding an electric pump.
By the way I have nothing against electric pumps, they sure help fill the
carb bowls before starting but then I shut it off and drove on the
mechanical pump.
Clark Hartzel