<VV> Petronix

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Tue Nov 1 15:47:49 EDT 2011

Pertronix 1 and Pertronix II are different animals.  Pertronix II
adjusts the dwell real-time.  It can help compensate for a poor
distributor and it does keep you from having to deal with the dwell
-- both of those items could be causing your problem.

I use Petronix II coil and ignition with battery voltage at the coil
(a little better than 12 volts generally).

Also use 8mm wires  and good plugs that won't foul.

Often the problem you describe is the distributor ... is it
sloppy?  Old/new?  I had one car with a real bad one, and the
Pertronix masked it for a long time and it ran OK.  With points it
ran like your car. I finally got a Clarks rebuild and it made a large
improvement.

Do NOT use a Pertronix II coil or high output coil on a Petronix 1
ignition or it will die.  Use stock or Petronix 1 coil.  I am
surprised the P1 instructions say not to use 12 volts, they used back
when there was no P2 ... but people put hot coils in and burned them
out.  I have never had a P2 fail or behave badly (despite the CORSA article).

Eric

Eric

At 04:50 PM 10/31/2011, you wrote:
>From: Ramon Rodriguez III <corvairgrymm at gmail.com>
>Subject: <VV> more on coil voltage
>To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
>I double checked the info from last time I raised this subject (struggling
>some time back with the same car) and was reminded that quite a few of you
>said that:
>
>a) The voltage reading at the coil was not meaningful because of AC
>characteristics
>b) The purpose of the reduced voltage at the coil was only to protect the
>points
>
>If "b" is true then why does the pertronix ignitor 1 I installed
>specifially say that it can't be used with a 12 volt coil?

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )