<VV> Speedo

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Tue Nov 1 16:00:00 EDT 2011

I believe Harry but the situation is odd.  I had the problem, changed
the speedo, and had the same problem.  This seems wildly
improbable.  The behavior was that in summer it was perfect and noisy
(front and rear) and in winter it would not work for 10 minutes until
things warmed up, and then it worked perfectly.  I swapped those
speedos back (my insurance company has been having fits since they
check my miles for low miles insurance and it went up 20k then back
down 20k).  It always behaved the same way until I lubed the cable
housing to stop the noise and the winter "delay" ... now it is silent
and the speedo does not work.  So I already swapped the other back in
and it does not work.  Silently of course.

So to believe it is the speedo is to believe that two speedo have
exactly the same problem ... which is possible ...

The existing cable sticks into the car about 1/2+ inches more than an
NOS one I have so I swapped those with no change.  Since pulling the
speedo is such a pain ... I think I'll try the cable one more time
from a known working car ... and if that does not work buy a rebuilt
speedo (I'm not going to take that apart more than once!).  I'll keep
you all posted ... might be a few weeks.  Eric

At 10:34 PM 10/31/2011, Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:
>Eric --
>
>You've got two that don't work -- disassemble one of them and learn
>why, since you seemingly don't want to believe Harry.  If the odo
>works, the cable is working, just that the gears and wheels past the
>odo aren't -- like maybe the needle pivots needs lubed, or the
>spiders, ants, and beetles need to be removed -- remember, it is
>driven magnetically.
>
>Bill

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )