<VV> more on coil voltage

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 16:40:00 EDT 2011

Ray,
It sound like you are getting some bum information. Here are my suggestions
 to get it running right.
1)   Forget trying to troubleshoot both the ignition and carb  systems at
the same time.
2)   Concentrate on the ignition system first.
3)  Temporarily reinstall the points to get this set up  correctly.
4)  If you have a harmonic balancer verify that the chisel mark is  still
verifying HB integrity.     Set the HB or  pulley to 8 degrees on the timing
scale with the rotor pointing to the #1 plug  wire  (you do have the plug
wires in the right firing  sequence don't you?)
5)   Loosen the dist and set it so the points are just ready to  open for
plug 1
6)   Disconnect the coil and measure its primary resistance. If  it
measures 1.5 ohms or less, you want the     ballast  resistor in the circuit. if it
measures more than 1.5 ohms, you do not want any  ballast resistance in the
circuit.
7)   Hook up the coil as follows. black wire from the distributer  goes to
the - coil terminal. Original coil wire goes to the + terminal if  you want
the ballast in the circuit. Otherwise find the ign switched +12v source  and
connect that to the + terminal. Connect the Pertronix 1 red wire  to the
ign switched +12 volt source.
8)   With the points OPEN, and the ignition switch on but with  the engine
not running, measure the voltage at the + coil terminal. It  should be 12
volts battery voltage.
9)   Now rotate the distributor slightly to close the points.  measure the
voltage at the + coil terminal. It should read +12 IF there is no  ballast
resistor in the circuit. BUT if there is a ballast resistor, then it  should
measure about 5 to 6 volts (with a res wire. A res block may have a
slightly higher voltage). If not in this ballpark then there is a problem
somewhere.
10)   Assuming that all went as planned here and you got 5-6  volts at the
+ coil terminal , reset the points by turning the distributor so  that the
points are just ready to open firing #1 plug.

Try it and see how it runs. Reset the timing with a timing light and
tighten down the distr..

Let us know. if you need carb info we will follow it up later, 49 should be
 Ok as they don not affect idling.

Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 11/1/2011 5:29:42 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,