<VV> Another Corvair story

mark at noakes.com mark at noakes.com
Tue Nov 1 23:22:56 EDT 2011

I learned to drive in my Mom's 63 Corvair Monza with Powerglide. However
I've never been fond of automatics except for tow vehicles.

In the early 80s we had just gotten rid of my wife's 74 Plymouth Duster
(225 slant 6 with auto) that she had gotten from her father when she was
in high school. We had my 66 Monza coupe and the newly restored 61
Lakewood, originally a 80hp (I think) 3-speed manual car; we converted
it to 102hp/4-speed.

My wife was still not doing too well with the manual shift, but I kept
pushing her to practice saying that she would soon get used to it and
good at it. One morning the car was parked in a down hill facing parking
slot. She left the apartment but came back in with a rather odd look on
her face and directed me to the parking lot. Instead of backing up the
hill out of the parking slot, she had hopped the curb in front of her
and both front wheels were off the ground with the car resting on the
curb about a foot behind the wheels (no real visible damage though).

While we were trying to figure out how to deal with this, four members
of the University of Tennessee football team came walking by (at this
time we lived right off campus because my wife was in school full time,
and I was working on a MS in part time evening school). The football
players just picked up the front of the car and rolled it back to where
all four wheels were on the ground.

Moral of the story...believe your wife when she says she can't do
something and keep a herd of football players handy for when things go awry.

Any vehicles after that that were specifically for my wife or that she
was also likely to drive have always been automatics. Anything that only
I drive is still a manual.

I still have the Lakewood put away but suspect that it is too far gone
to redo again. I hope to find another one at some point. I miss the
uniqueness.

Other stories besides this and the "we don't fix no Corvair radiators"
but so does everyone else...

Mark N