<VV> Speedo

lechevrier at earthlink.net lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 2 05:14:47 EDT 2011

>The speedo and odo are driven by the same cable -- in different ways
>in different locations on the cable.

WHAT??!!

Respectfully, I disagree.  Same cable, yes.  Different locations, no way, not for common domestic speedos from the Corvair decade.

I could be wrong, but I have disassembled several Spyder and Corsa speedos when they quit as well as others, and there is only one gear driven directly by the speedometer cable and everything else runs off of that driven gear.

I have greased speedo cables for a long time, and many of those cables have been driven over to (or used in) the eastern side of the Oregon Cascade mountain range in winter time, where temps often go below 0F and stay there.  No problem, but that is just my experience. BMC, Corvairs (earlies, lates, and FC's), VW's, Ford trucks, Chevy trucks, Isuzu trucks -- I'd include the Fieros, but first I don't recommend it as a winter car (poor headlight angle when snowing at night), and second, they don't have a speedo cable.

Remember, grease doesn't freeze, it just gets thicker at normal domestic US cold weather temps and speedo drive cables are fairly strong, even long early Corvair ones -- arctic weather is where graphite is required. Maybe folks that drive their Corvairs in 10W oil weather might want to consider it -- Yoopers and folks from similar sun-belts.  These days, most normal folks park their Vairs inside during that type of weather.  I know, Corvair owners are not "normal".

Bill Strickland