<VV> Why "crossed" lap belts?

John O'Shea jco99 at cox.net
Wed Nov 2 12:06:03 EDT 2011

The crossed over inner lap belt use has to do with the center tunnel doesn't
it?  If you use the inner lap belt on the same side as your seat, that belt
is actually slightly behind the seat, not along side it.  Didn't the tunnel
structure and internals prevent the inner seat belts from being anchored on
the sides of the seats like in other GM cars of that time?

Someone in the past has posted a picture of a formed steel bracket that
spans across the carpet and anchors to both inner seat belt mounts.  New
inner belt anchors aligned along the sides the seats are part of the
bracket.  As I recall, that bracket was designed so lap belts could be
better used with a center console.