<VV> Corvair Tall Tales ~ Is 'straight weight' oil better

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Wed Nov 2 15:39:35 EDT 2011

Me too, ever since they made it, and Mobil 1 other weights before
that.  In everything from diesel tractors to Corvairs to pickups to
fancy sports cars to old 4x4 ... it is easier to have one kind of oil
around.  I have no complaints -- one engine has 250k which for a 4
banger 1980 Toyota is pretty good.  I'm going to lose the Toyota over
a carb problem, not an engine problem.  Likely I'll rebuild and
convert to fuel injection.  I think the variable weight is most
certainly better in a place where I am when we have 50 degree temp
swings in a day and summer highs over 100 and winter lows under
zero.  If you don't want to be changing oil all the time.  Perhaps on
the CA coast where it varies 10-20 degrees in a year a fixed weight
is easy enough to live with.  Eric

At 09:25 PM 11/1/2011, virtualvairs-request at corvair.org wrote:
>From: "J R Read" <hmlinc at sbcglobal.net>
>Subject: Re: <VV> Corvair Tall Tales ~ Is 'straight weight' oil better
>         ?
>To: "Charles Lee" <chaz at properproper.com>,      "'Dennis Pleau'"
>         <dpleau at wavecable.com>, <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
>I've been using Mobil 1 15W50 for a few years now - ever since the ZDDP
>scare.
>Later, JR

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )