<VV> Speedo

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Wed Nov 2 15:51:58 EDT 2011

Perhaps that was not the best -- "different ways" meaning the speedo
is magnet driven.  The odo is directly gear driven.  Smitty just told
me that in the Corvair the cable turns one gear which turns a shaft
which turns a gear for the odo and the magnet for the speedo.  So
"different places" not so good.  But people that said if it jammed it
could have stripped the gear ... not true either.  As long as this
has been, getting to the bottom of it has helped me decide how to
tackle this.  A locked speedometer, for example, could be due to lack
of magnets or something stopping the cable and the magnet not able to
move the needle ... making the field weird -- there are apparently
some springs involved -- but what I wanted and got was exactly how
the Corvair speedo works in relation to the odo.  This speedo
decription sounds like ours:

http://www.innerauto.com/Automotive_Systems/Front_Wheel_Drive_Transmission/Speedometer_Drive_Gear/

At 04:48 AM 11/2/2011, you wrote:
>From: lechevrier at earthlink.net
>Subject: Re: <VV> Speedo
>To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
><20551981.1320225287853.JavaMail.root at mswamui-billy.atl.sa.earthlink.net>

> >The speedo and odo are driven by the same cable -- in different ways
> >in different locations on the cable.
>
>WHAT??!!
>
>Respectfully, I disagree.  Same cable, yes.  Different locations, no
>way, not for common domestic speedos from the Corvair decade.
>
>I could be wrong, but I have disassembled several Spyder and Corsa
>speedos when they quit as well as others, and there is only one gear
>driven directly by the speedometer cable and everything else runs
>off of that driven gear.
>
>I have greased speedo cables for a long time, and many of those
>cables have been driven over to (or used in) the eastern side of the
>Oregon Cascade mountain range in winter time, where temps often go
>below 0F and stay there.  No problem, but that is just my
>experience. BMC, Corvairs (earlies, lates, and FC's), VW's, Ford
>trucks, Chevy trucks, Isuzu trucks -- I'd include the Fieros, but
>first I don't recommend it as a winter car (poor headlight angle
>when snowing at night), and second, they don't have a speedo cable.
>
>Remember, grease doesn't freeze, it just gets thicker at normal
>domestic US cold weather temps and speedo drive cables are fairly
>strong, even long early Corvair ones -- arctic weather is where
>graphite is required. Maybe folks that drive their Corvairs in 10W
>oil weather might want to consider it -- Yoopers and folks from
>similar sun-belts.  These days, most normal folks park their Vairs
>inside during that type of weather.  I know, Corvair owners are not "normal".
>
>Bill Strickland

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

Vertical Integrated Computer Systems, LLC
Metropolis Support, LLC

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

For pictures:  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

(You can see why we love this state :-) )