<VV> Why "crossed" lap belts?

DTerry8123 at aol.com DTerry8123 at aol.com
Wed Nov 2 20:24:49 EDT 2011

Here is my take. on the seat belt question.

In 1963, my father bought a new '63 4 door Monza. We did not order
seatbelts. For Christmas that year, I ordered a set of front belts from the  Chevy
dealer for his Christmas gift. The instructions said to install them so  the
inboard belts cross over. That's the way I did it.

In 1966, My brother bought a new '66 Monza coupe. By then the belts were
standard equipment. His belts were not crossed over even though the owner's
manual described them that way.

Also in 1966 I bought my used  '65 Corsa. My belts were not crossed  over,
and the owner's manual doesn't mention they should be cross. I crossed  them
over anyway, because I never liked the way the belts rubbed on the plastic
trim when they were not crossed.

In the mid 1970's, I bought an NOS set of belts for my Corsa. The
instructions, labeled "1966 General Motors replacement seat belts", do not  mention
being crossed over. The belts were identical to my original belts.

The mystery continues.

Dan Terry
1965 Corsa 140 coupe
Corvair Atlanta

In a message dated 11/2/2011 1:58:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,